Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in Chadron, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at MPC Heating & Cooling can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give MPC Heating & Cooling in Chadron a call to get started. Give us a shout at 308-832-4321 or schedule an appointment with us online.