Living in comfort in the summer can be taken for granted, especially until you feel a taste of anxiety with an air conditioner breakdown. It can happen at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and abruptly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so toasty wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uncomfortable feeling? It might be an occasion for an air conditioner replacement.
More often than not, it isn’t the thermostat’s mistake; the settings can be operating correctly, but it still says that the temperature is beyond 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that needs a call to the experts to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners stop working, especially considering the weather in Chadron. Here are some things that you can examine for before you call MPC Heating & Cooling if you think your air conditioner has broken down:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your exterior air conditioning system that helps transport the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and discover that the fan isn’t working, it means that the heat transfer isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to remain in your home. This failure can also trigger overheating of the compressor and other likely internal damage to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most likely issues that MPC Heating & Cooling sees. These dirty filters in your air conditioner lower suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really problematic when allergy season comes around. Filthy air filters can also decrease the efficiency in your home and raise your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an barrier or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can initiate your air conditioner to decrease efficiency and reduce speed.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t concealed by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Good air flow could be also hindered from outside blockages around your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is deterred, it can change it’s cooling capacities. Make sure that your system is unrestricted by obstacles and is cleaned regularly to decrease the chance of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve worked through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t running, here are a list of questions and tests that you should look into and answer to get your system up and functioning again. (Only progress to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature fixed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL spot?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things change your system operation, call MPC Heating & Cooling at 308-832-4321.
Don’t let an air conditioner failure or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these procedures and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner working again in no time. Our team at MPC Heating & Cooling in Chadron is always here to be of service – give us a call at 308-832-4321.