Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is safely deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide blocks the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s nearly impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may be unaware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by professionals, you should have it looked at. The experts at MPC Heating & Cooling can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that there are no flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can collect if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best action to take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, our experts will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally checked as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always depend on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the professionals at MPC Heating & Cooling in Chadron just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 308-832-4321 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.