According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to ask MPC Heating & Cooling in Chadron about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the pros at MPC Heating & Cooling. Annual evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clean.
More ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and change them when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Chadron home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at MPC Heating & Cooling at 308-832-4321 or schedule an appointment online.